TSU Pride Update
With 2022 nearly all wrapped up, it’s important to take time to reflect on what we’ve achieved.
Where to begin? The Services Union’s Pride Committee has had an eventful year! We have truly surpassed our goal to increase visibility (though there’s still more work to do).
Here are some key Pride accomplishments from this year:
- Fought to shelve the Religious Discrimination Bill which would grant businesses the right to exclude people in the name of religion, infringing upon the rights and safety of LGBTQ+ and gender diverse people, women, and other marginalised groups
- Established a strong presence in the Queensland Unions committee Union Pride
- Successful We are everywhere campaign launch to show employers that LGBTQ+ and gender diverse workers are in every workplace
- Excellent Labour Day Pride photo with Sally McManus!
- IDAHOBIT celebration to end discrimination against LGBTQ+ and gender diverse workers
- Attended LGBTQ Domestic Violence Awareness Foundation Gala to support and learn more about the impacts of domestic and intimate partner violence on our LGBTQ+ and gender diverse communities
- Hosted a Union stall at Gladstone’s first ever Pride festival and Brisbane Pride (despite the weather trying to literally rain on our parade)
- Union Pride t-shirts made so you can fly the flag at all your upcoming events and functions
- National revamp of ASU Pride (which means even more resources, visibility, lanyards)
- Developing Queensland Union Pride Awards to celebrate work of members and Unions
- Supported members at the QNMU with training on Queensland’s LGBTQ+ and gender diverse history, the importance of pronouns and sharing real members’ experiences to highlight Unions’ necessary role in this space
- Discussions about including LGBTQ+ and gender diverse allyship training in our ASU Launchpad catalogue
The list goes on, and our to-do list for next year is already stacked!
Some Pride focus points for 2023:
- Officially open the Pride Committee Facebook group which will allow us all to connect more frequently and directly via Facebook (and Messenger for those who don’t have Facebook)
- Teaming up with our Youth Committee for rallies, events, etc.
- First ever Union Pride Awards!
- 2023 Labour Day march and photo
- Connect with our First Nations members to support them through the Uluru Statement from the Heart Referendum
- Share more member stories and voices about wins and struggles at work
- Continue building our Union networks, identify new LGBTQ+ and gender diverse Delegates
Our achievements wouldn’t be possible without your commitment and pride, so pat yourselves on the back for a great year. As for next year? The Services Union is by your side to continue our fight for a safe, equal and inclusive Queensland for all workers.
Have a wonderful and safe holiday season and we’ll see you in 2023!
0407 172 755
07 3844 5300