Qantas announces detail of International Readiness Program
After weeks of waiting, Qantas has finally announced the details of how the Federal Government financial assistance to international aviation workers will work at Qantas. The scheme runs between 1 April to 31 October 2021.
Eligibility is determined on a weekly basis. Employees will be eligible to receive the $500 payment if they:
- support the international business; and
- are stood down or on special leave without pay for 2 or more days in the week.
We have clarified that the payment will be made to Qantas employees who either wholly work in the International Business, OR who are in a combined roster group that supports both the Domestic and International businesses are eligible for the scheme including:
- Engineering Operations Control (Operational Planning) & Sydney Line Maintenance Operations;
- Airports Customer & Lounges roster groups who support International flying in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Cairns & Perth;
- Global Sales & Distribution;
- Customer Journey Operations;
- Network, Revenue Management & Alliances; and
- Other non-operational or corporate roles that support the International business.
All eligible employees will receive the same payment and payment will be in addition to any normal pay.
We understand Qantas has excluded Adelaide and Darwin from the scheme. This is unfair and we have already raised our concerns with the company.
Domestic aviation workers need support too! Many workers who support the domestic business remain stood down. They deserve the same support as their colleagues supporting international flying. The ASU is calling on the federal government to extend the income support for international workers to all stood down employees. Go to https://keepaustraliaflying.com/ to sign our petition calling on the government to protect aviation workers.
It’s important to ask for help: organisations like Lifeline 131114 or Beyond Blue 1300 224 636 are available if needed.
Send this bulletin to anyone you know who isn’t in the ASU. They can join at www.asu.asn.au/ASUJOIN.