Union Halts Gympie Council Redundancies
It’s been a very stressful week for Gympie Regional Council staff following your employer’s lack of consultation over proposed redundancies.
The Services Union will always advocate to protect your job. Today we lodged an urgent dispute in the Queensland Industrial Relations Commission (QIRC), and this afternoon we successfully argued your case. As a result, all actions in relation to forced redundancies must STOP!
The QIRC recommended that Council:
- Cease taking any further steps, whatsoever, to advise employees that their positions are at risk of being made redundant or are redundant;
- Cease taking any further steps, whatsoever, leading to or resulting in any employee’s position being made redundant; and
- Cease taking any step, whatsoever, to terminate the employment of any employee because of the redundancy of their position.
Council has agreed to:
- Halt the process of redundancies;
- Enter into genuine and full consultation with our Union;
- Comply with the Certified Agreement.
The Services Union will meet with Council on Monday 29 June 2020 for consultation.
What can you do now?
Do not attend a meeting with management without your Workplace Delegate, and do not sign anything!
Members can always access advice and support by calling Services Connect on (07) 3844 5300.
We also strongly urge you to discuss this situation with your colleagues and encourage non-members to join, by calling Services Connect or online at: https://www.theservicesunion.com.au/member-information/join/
We know that your job at Gympie Regional Council is an essential part of your regional community.
We will be with you every step of the way during consultation with Council.