Torres Strait Island Regional Council – Congratulations on securing better pay and conditions
Congratulations to members of The Services Union at Torres Strait Island Regional Council! Your new Certified Agreement (CA) was certified yesterday at the Queensland Industrial Relations Commission.
Your new Agreement ensures that all employees will receive a 2.5% wage increase effective from 1 September 2021 and then a further 2.5% increase on 1 September 2022. The Services Union also successfully negotiated an extra 1.5% wage increase for Award base pay employees to lift the wages for the lowest paid staff at Council.
Other highlights include:
- Maximum term conversion clause;
- Joint Consultative Committee provision to facilitate quarterly discussion, negotiation, consultation with Unions and Management;
- Consultation and dispute resolution clauses in line with the current Award;
- Transition-to-retirement clause;
- Union delegate training and support clauses;
- Updated overtime clauses to include double time for Saturday and Sunday work; and
- Domestic and Family Violence Leave that also includes 10 days paid leave for victims and those supporting victims.
While we have spent a long time on these negotiations, it has been an important one to get right. The new CA will be a modern one-stop shop for your conditions and a huge improvement upon the current Newman-era agreement.
Our Union has also delivered over $2 million in backpay for unpaid overtime for current and former indoor staff. We have also negotiated a reduction of hours from 38 to the appropriate 36.25 without reduced annual salary.
Without union members’ collective dedication, it would have been impossible to get such great outcomes. Keep encouraging your colleagues to join the union. If you’re not already a member, now is the time to join and contribute to maintaining your workplace conditions and ensuring you receive the right entitlements: https://www.theservicesunion.com.au/member-information/join/