Our Energy Footprint
The Services Union is continuing the 2015-2020 Our Energy Footprint Campaign, so our members can have direct input in to the future of the Energy Industry.
In the first phase of our Campaign, we have achieved commitments from the Palaszczuk Government that ensured our members are protected throughout the Energy Queensland Limited (EQL) merger process.
Our Union played an important part in negotiating a new enterprise agreement for EQL that has enshrined our unions goals:
- Guaranteeing the voice of workers are heard as part of the ongoing change process to ensure a smooth transition during the merger;
- Securing a permanent workforce at the centre of service delivery;
- Ensuring dedicated training and resources for employees to help identify clear career paths and progression opportunities;
- Fair processes for employees who face redeployment; and
- Good wages and conditions including annual EA wage increases.
FOR THE FUTURE:
- Investment in future technologies and growing our industry with ongoing government ownership; and
- A partnership approach between the government, the industry and its workforce representatives to address the changing needs and interests of consumers and our communities.
The Energy Industry is evolving and we will be looking at the impacts and opportunities that may exist for employees because of the shift towards renewables (e.g. solar and battery storage technologies).
The move towards renewables must include the Government investing directly in these new technologies. The recent government announcement to create a third publicly – owned power generation company, CleanCo, with a mandate to deliver 1,000MW of new renewable energy projects for Queensland designed to reduce power costs is welcome. Any new initiatives must also include career transition opportunities (‘Just Transition’) for employees as renewable energy technologies come online in Queensland.
The Queensland Council of Unions is looking to collaborate with our Union to develop a position around Just Transition to:
- Establish a mechanism to allow Unions to participate in the development and implementation of energy policy.
- Support a campaign to ensure that the transition in energy
- Supports and creates a just transition for existing workers (and related to) the energy industry and their communities.
- Creates secure, quality jobs, Including manufacturing
- Maintains an appropriate level of Government ownership and control for the benefit of workers and consumers
I stand with The Services Union to be part of a Real Change and securing our Energy Industry for the future.
Fill out the form below.